Commemorative History Book

The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command Commemorative History Booklet 294 With the return of the service men to civilian life and camaraderie still prevailing, feelings for a Legion Branch came forward. To promote this, the Veterans called a meeting and asked for help and information in joining the British Empire Service League as the Marsden Legion Branch. On March 14, 1950, an organizational meeting was held. Twenty-four members were present and an Executive was elected. The first meeting was held in the old Imperial Lumber office. As this building was for sale, the members purchased it for $500.00. They borrowed the money from the bank and the members guaranteed the loan. A lot was purchased for $1.00 and the building was moved onto it in the fall of 1951. Renovations were done during the winter and enthusiasm was high; the new organization was recognized as a going concern. Through the years, the Branch sponsored many projects – the first drive-in bingo, turkey shoot, dances of all kinds, curling competitions, annual oratory contests in the school with trophies, sponsored young athletes to the Track and Field Camp, gun safety, donkey ball, gymkhanas, parades, ball tournaments, auction sales of white elephant items, variety nights, skits, amateur nights, junior ball sponsorship, and the Marsden Branch of Boy Scouts. Their commitment, of course, also included assistance to needy Veterans. Some of the highlights were celebrating Saskatchewan’s 50th Anniversary in 1955. A cairn was erected at the Manitou Lake picnic grounds, commemorating the pioneers; the centennial year 1967, again, saw the Legion in the forefront organizing the community in a long-remembered Dominion celebration, which involved the young and old of the District; the year 1971 – Homecoming year – proved to be the Legion’s biggest community effort. It will long be remembered and appreciated by the many people who came back to reminisce and visit on that occasion. In 1981, the history of the area was recorded and the Marsden Branch was showing its age. The Ladies’Auxiliary to the Marsden Branch backed the Legion in all their projects and kept the Legion Hut in ship-shape condition throughout the years. Many thanks go out to them all. In 1995, the Branch undertook interviewing Veterans regarding their experiences and thoughts of the war years, which has been compiled into books that are permanently stored in the local library. Each story has been made into a book with the Veteran’s picture on the front of the book. This project was fostered by the hard work and dedication of Margaret Mitchell. Now, residents of the area can read about area Veterans and their wartime experiences. Due to dwindling membership, Marsden Branch finally surrendered their charter on December 31, 1998. LADIES’ AUXILIARY TO MARSDEN BRANCH 354 The Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Marsden Branch was formed on November 10, 1950. Nine ladies were present at this meeting and officers were elected. Their main objective, of course, was to work closely with the Legion. One main project has been to care for the Legion Hut. New Lino was laid, they purchased a stove, piano and cupboards, later adding chairs and stacking tables. For a number of years they sent parcels to the men and women in the Armed Forces and provided Christmas parcels to Veterans in hospitals. In 1954, they made a Peace Time Civil Defense Survey visiting all the homes, finding out where displaced people could be housed and where blankets could be obtained. This was shortly after a flood in Winnipeg and the Red River area, and many families were forced to leave and be housed elsewhere. Their donations covered a number of charities over the years, including the Mental Health Association, Veterans Comfort Fund, books for troops, scholarships, the Salvation Army, the March of Dimes, curling club, Neilburg Hospital, Library, kiddies’ gym set for the Manitou Lake Picnic Grounds, hockey clubs, ball clubs, and many other community causes. In 1955, they sponsored a Square Dance series, where old woolen rags were collected and sent to the Fairfields Woolen Mill in Winnipeg, where blankets were given and used for raffles. They held bazaars an bread-making contests and sponsored sewing lessons. They also sponsored Red Cross Swimming lessons. They also always took time to visit Veterans in homes and hospitals, having Christmas parties and presenting gifts. The Auxiliary has been very active over the years, but also due to declining membership, and the closure of the Legion Branch, the Ladies’ Auxiliary finally surrendered their charter in 1999. MARSDEN BRANCH 354 ~ Closed Box 292 Mankota, SK S0H 2W0 Secretary: Michael Sherven Phone: 306-478-2329 President: Darcy Zerr Phone: 306-478-2618 Branch Charter Date: 03 May 1950 Current Membership: 18 Auxiliary Charter Date: 05 November 1949 Closed: 1986 MANKOTA BRANCH 355

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==