The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 97 The Rosetown Branch 66 of the Royal Canadian Legion received its charter on June 10, 1927, and since then has played an active role in the community. The Branch was formed after the last meeting of the Army and Navy Veteran's Association was held on May 31, 1926. The association was replaced with the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League. Over the years, Rosetown has had the honour and privilege of hosting the headquarters of the 29th Light Horse, which transferred to Rosetown from Milden in 1913, the headquarters for Company C of the 232 Battery in 1916, and the headquarters for the 67th Brigade Field Artillery in 1937. The largest project undertaken by the Legion was in assisting with the construction of the Rosetown Sports Centre and in "Operation Mud Free," which was the paving of the arena parking lot. The Legion's first hall was built at the current hall location. The present Legion hall was constructed in 1967. In 2006 membership was as follows: 30 Ordinary members, 59 Associate members, 11 Life members and 6 Honourary member Affiliates. The highest number of members was 169. The current President of the Branch is Ev. Whyte. Since the beginning, the Legion has played an integral role of support in many areas of the community. They have helped pay for hospital equipment, ambulance, The Wheatland Regional Centre, and the Wheels for Wheels van. The Legion has always been a strong supporter of athletes in the community by sponsoring them to the Legion track and field camp, as well as subsidized swimming for children. One of their biggest events over the years has been Dick's Spiel, an annual curling bonspiel named after longtime Legion bonspiel co-ordinator, Dick Low. Each year the Legion has held Remembrance Day services which were held in the Rosetown Theatre and later rotated between the Catholic and United Churches. In 2004, the service was moved to the Rosetown and District Civic Centre, which put the service back into a non-denominational building, as well gave Veterans a shorter indoor march to the service. The fist cenotaph was located at the town office, which burnt down in 1946. After the fire, the cenotaph was moved to the present location located near the swimming pool along Highway 4. This cenotaph was built of stone and rock. A new Rosetown Legion War Memorial was placed in the park and dedicated on November 11, 1951. It was located on the south and west corner close to Highway 4 and 5th Avenue. In 1966, the Department of Highways decided to pave and widen the highway through Rosetown, which made it necessary to move the cenotaph. It was placed in the hospital grounds where it was located until it was moved back to its present location. The Rosetown Legion Cadet Corps celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 1984. The Rosetown Corps was the 23rd Corps in the province to be formed. Dick Low and Leo Forrest were both instrumental in the formation of the Rosetown Corps. The Corps later joined with the Biggar Cadet Corps, which is still active and participates often in Rosetown Legion events. LADIES’ AUXILIARY TO ROSETOWN BRANCH 66 The Ladies’ Auxiliary was formed on June 18, 1948. The President was Mrs. Elma Hawes; Vice-president, Miss Elizabeth Geekie; second Vice president, Mrs. Helen Currie; Secretary, Mrs. Margaret Pitman and Treasurer, Miss Florence Cheyne. The Provincial Command of the Ladies’ Auxiliary Royal Canadian Legion received its charter from Legion Dominion Command on April 8, 1930. At that time, it was known as the Ladies’ Auxiliary Canadian Legion, under the British Empire Service League but the name was dropped from the Auxiliary name in 1958. In 1961, the official name of the Legion was changed to Royal Canadian Legion. Through the years, Auxiliary members gave freely of their time and efforts to show their appreciation to the servicemen during the war and to veterans after the war was over. Through their efforts thousands of dollars were raised for local projects and to ensure comfort in the lives of the less fortunate. The main project supported by the Ladies’ Auxiliary Royal Canadian Legion was the Veterans Comforts Fund, which began in 1935. The Rosetown Branch of the Ladies’Auxiliary Royal Canadian Legion folded in June 2000, after the Provincial Command ceased to exist. Members of the Ladies’Auxiliary had the opportunity to join the Royal Canadian legion after the disbanding. ROSETOWN BRANCH 66 Box 203 Ogema, SK S0G 1Y0 Branch Phone: 306-459-2453 Secretary: Randy MacPhail Phone: 306-459-2284 President: James Caird Phone: 306-459-2769 Branch Charter Date: 22 February 1927 Current Membership: 14 Auxiliary Charter Date: 28 June 1949 OGEMA BRANCH 67
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==