The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 85 Kindersley Branch 57 was formed in December of 1918, when eight veterans of World War 1 organized the Great War Veterans Association. W.B. Thompson was the first President. The meeting place, named “The Hut,” was situated two doors west of the present Legion Hall. In 1926, the name was changed to The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League. In 1960, it was changed to The Royal Canadian Legion. In 1946, the Legion obtained the Orange Hall. A new basement was poured and the upstairs was finished. It became the center of Legion activities and still serves as a comfortable club room. In recent years, a new furnace was installed and a new paint job inside and out improved the appearance of the Hall. In 1999, work bees moved the cenotaph and two flag poles to the front of the Legion. In 2005, a memorial was installed and dedicated to all those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I and World War II, with numerous members and guests present. Branch 57 Charter is dated May 10, 1928, and consisted of sixteen members. The Legion has always, and still supports many projects: Cadets, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, Seniors & Veterans, Youth Groups, and Legion Track and Field, many of which would not be possible without the help of our Legion Auxiliary. Though the years, the Branch has made substantial donations ($5,000 to $6,000 a year) to the hospital, the nursing home, the senior citizens hall and the rinks, just to name a few. Branch 57 has been host to numerous Zone, District and Provincial sporting events, and in 1997 it hosted the Dominion Senior’s Curling. It has had Provincial winners in curling in 1964 mens, 1975 mens, 1987 and 1989 mixed. And also won the 1987 Provincial Sr. Bowling. In 1983, it won the Dominion Sr. Curling. Today there are a total of 95 members, including 37 veterans. In the forties, membership was over 200. Branch 57 shows colors in numerous Local, Provincial and Dominion events, highlights being the World Junior Baseball ceremonies in 1984, and a Royal visit from the Queen in 1987. In April of 2006, Branch 57 hosted an Awards Night, where ten members were presented with 60-year pins. This is a great Milestone for the Club. Kindersley Ladies’ Legion Auxiliary The Kindersley Ladies Legion Auxiliary was formed in August 1947 Helen Bruce a Nurse in World War 1, and a member of the British Empire Service League, felt a ladies organization was needed. A number of veterans wives and mothers decided to form the Auxiliary. The first meeting was held in the Legion Hall August 21, 1947 with sixteen charter members the Carter members were: Helen Bruce, Marjorie Winter, Edna Lingstrom, Doris McMillan, Maude Agett, Lucille Reid, Edith West, Audrie Darling, Evelyn Moffat, Freda Lonsdale, Eleanor Lonsdale, Elsie Parrot, Agnes Sismey and Marguerite Gray. Legion President Norman Mullock assisted by Bill Moffat and Jack Jones performed the initiation ceremony. The Charter is dated September 8, 1947. The Kindersley Ladies Legion Auxiliary began catering to banquets, teas, etc. A doll dressed in Legion Auxiliary Uniform was raffled with much success and is continued today. We hold Vimy Day and Poppy Day teas, and serve lunch for funerals and anniversaries for Legion and Auxiliary members as required. The Kindersley Ladies Legion Auxiliary join the Legion in the Remembrance Day Parade. The Kindersley Ladies Legion Auxiliary have contributed towards furnishings for two hospitals and the Senior Care Home, the Veterans Comfort and Bursary Fund, Last Post, Sherbrook Community Centre, Canadian Paraplegic Association, Camp Easter Seal, Music Festival, Track and Field and local veterans comforts. We also assist the Legion in their special projects. We currently have eleven Life Members and thirty-three regular members. KINDERSLEY BRANCH 57
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==