The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 67 The origin of the Lloydminster Branch dates back to the year of 1919, following the conclusion of World War I. It was called the Great War Veterans Association; Col. B. Laws was their first President; Harry Pick first Secretary. After World War II, the face of the Branch started to change and membership soared. One of the first entertainment events was the Model "T" Ford races. In 1946-47, there were all kinds of dance bands booked from all over Canada. In 1948, the Branch changed the program and brought in the baseball tournaments, and by 1953, the Western Canada Baseball League was formed and Lloydminster had a semi-pro ball team. In 1948, the building of the Legion Hall got started. The basement was finished and they were able to hold meetings and functions. It wasn't until 1951 that the top was finished and the Branch finally had a home. Some of the earlier fundraising events included steak BBQs, bingos, raffles, concession booths and catering. The work was shared by the members as volunteers and a special tribute goes to the Ladies’ Auxiliary who worked so hard. During the late sixties and early seventies, this Branch fielded an Initiation Team that would go around to the different Branches and do the installation of their Officers for the coming year. In 1967, Zone 2 had a trailer unit that Branch #39 was in charge of. This trailer circulated throughout Zone 2 and stayed for 2 days at every Branch in the zone. It contained Legion Memorials and Memorabilia. In 1967, Branch members held the "Burning of the Mortgage" on the original Legion Hall. In 1984, the present Legion Hall was built. They hosted dart, cribbage, horseshoe, and curling bonspiels. These successful events went on for approximately ten years. Some of the more recent fundraising ideas have been annual spring and fall suppers, huge indoor garage sales, Saturday "Jam Sessions," weekly meat draws, and various raffles. In September of 2004, they introduced a "Memorial Board" to help raise funds for much needed repairs on the building. This is an on going board and a donation will buy a plague with the names of loved ones or your corporation's name engraved on it. In 2005, the Year of the Veteran, the Branch held celebrations honouring our Veterans. In October 2006, the Branch celebrated its 80th Anniversary, as well. They hosted a weeklong celebration, and highlighted the event with an entertainment group from the Netherlands. Lloydminster Branch 39 is known to support and sponsor numerous organizations within the community. They donate meals to Veterans and their spouses and we sponsor the local Air Cadet Squadron. LADlES’AUXILIARY TO LLOYDMINSTER BRANCH 39 The charter for the Lloydminster Ladies’ Auxiliary, which now hangs in the Legion Hall, was granted on May 26, 1931. All records from 1931 to 1942 were destroyed due to water damage. The ladies met in a small building called "The Hut'" located on 50th Street. Mrs. Shufflebottom was President in 1933, and Mrs. M. L. Bexson was named Secretary in 1942. In the early 1950's, a new hall was built, but it was built in stages. May Wallace was President from 1951 to 1953 and Irene Colmen was Secretary. The Ladies’ Auxiliary raised money by catering, coat checking, selling coffee and pop, and working concession stands. At times, they served up to 300 guests at banquets, Fish & Games suppers, short courses, weddings, funerals, and RCMP events. The Ladies’ Auxiliary paid $2,000.00 toward building the kitchen facilities and buying the stove and sterilizer. They then paid the Legion $200.00 per month to help pay the mortgage once the top floor was built. The ladies worked alongside the men, and it was often heavy grueling work. One such notorious event was in the "Homecoming Year" in 1967. Ester Lafoy was President and the Ladies were asked to put on a luncheon of BBQ beef with all the trimmings for the Canoe Pageant that was coming down the Saskatchewan River. It was estimated that 1,000 people would be in attendance, but the true numbers were 1,500. God Bless the Ladies’ Auxiliary and all those who pitched in. The members of the Ladies’ Auxiliary have attended many conventions. They have carried flags and banners and have marched in many parades. They have always been involved in the Veteran's special events, such as the November 11th ceremonies, Vimy Day celebrations and Christmas functions. For years, the ladies put on a Poppy Day tea and bake sale, which always did well. In 1988, the old Legion Hall was sold and a new one was built. The Ladies’ Auxiliary donated $50,000.00 to the Branch, of which $10,000.00 went to building bathrooms on the upper level and the rest to furnishing the new building with tables and chairs. They also supported the debenture program that was implemented to help with building costs. Daisy Younger was President and Ester Lafoy was Secretary. The Ladies’ Auxiliary has always given generously, when they could, to other organizations, such as the Veterans Comfort Fund, Bursaries, Legion Track and Field and a donation to the hospital for the digitalis machine. All of the members have to be commended for their hard work and devotion through all the years as part of the Ladies’ Auxiliary. At one time, there were 57 members but as of closing of the chapter in 2006, there were only 6 members left, all of which were Life members. Dorothy Bolton was President and Ester Lafoy was still Treasurer. LLOYDMINSTER BRANCH 39
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==