Commemorative History Book

The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 183 Lanigan Branch was originally chartered as the Wolverine Branch of the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League #143 on August 20, 1930. There were fourteen charter members, most of whom lived in the R.M. of Wolverine: Walter Allan Henry; Lazor Solonenka, Benjamin Joseph Smith, Cyril Stackhouse, Basil Henry Legg Dance, Alvin Mertz, Thomas Henry Crawford, Andrew Cummings, Lloyd David Walmsley, William Robertson, Henry Jackson Porter, William Henry Barclay. The following were officers after reorganization: K. Elliott, President; Allan Larmour, 1st Vice President; B.V. Hill, 2nd Vice President; W. Barclay, Sgt.-at-Arms; C. Stackhouse, Secretary. Because some minutes from those early years cannot be located, it cannot be accurately known where meetings were held and how funds were raised. From the minutes that were found, it is known that monies were often raised by hosting socials and dances. Meetings were held in rented premises until the Branch purchased their own hall in 1947. The Branch was reorganized in November 1945 with the assistance of Zone officers from Humboldt. New officers were elected and local bylaws established. In September 1950, the Branch name was officially changed to the Lanigan Branch of the Canadian Legion B.E.S.L. Since its inception, the Lanigan Branch has been active in raising money for purchasing equipment for services such as the hospital, long-term care home and fire department. They have also sponsored many students to athletic camps and donated to local Air Cadets. On occasion, they have also supported local charities and/or organizations. LADIES’ AUXILIARY TO LANIGAN BRANCH 143 The original name of this Auxiliary was The Wolverine Saskatchewan Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League No. 143, and received its charter on June 6, 1946. On April 12, 1953, the name was changed to Lanigan Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Lanigan Branch No. 143. Major activities and fundraisers were the St. Patrick’s Day Annual stew suppers and late afternoon tea and bake sales. The carol festival was held annually for 42 years. The major part of the proceeds were donated to the Veterans Comfort Fund. They assisted with Blood Donor Clinics and the United Appeal and held canvasses for the Arthritis and Rheumatism Society and the CNIB. Records show that funds were also raised through bingos, and many teas for different occasions throughout the year. There were pancake and bake sales and suppers catering to funerals, weddings, banquets, rallies auction sales and sports days. They raffled many things to raise funds, like fruitcake, turkeys, quilts, and Easter hampers. They compiled and sold their own cookbook back in 1965. They usually held their meetings in conjunction with the men and always enjoyed socializing afterwards and at Christmas time one never knew who would emerge in the Santa suit to provide cheer. The ladies always packed Christmas bags for the town children and had a lot of fun doing it. They assisted with dances, bonspiels, meals on wheels, the Cenotaph fund and decorating a float for the annual Sports Day Parade. They always helped out with Remembrance Day activities. The Branch has also honoured the ladies over the years on special occasions and anniversaries, holding special dinners and social evenings. Major Auxiliary donations throughout the years have been to the Veterans comfort fund, bursary fund, financial support to track and field athletes, special contributions to the Manitoba Flood Relief fund, community rest room, furnishing the new Legion hall, the Legion’s two-bed ward in Lanigan’s first hospital and financial aid in building the second ward. They contributed to furnishing the Central Parkland Lodge, which is a special care home for seniors, as well as donating a piano to them in 1975. The Auxiliary sent books to the troops, aid to war orphans in Britain and Korea and assisted in the purchase of Fireman’s Rescue Equipment and a Blood Analysis machine for their hospital in the early 1990s. They bring cheer to the disabled and shut-in Veterans through the help of the Hands of Friendship and are still going strong today. LANIGAN BRANCH 143

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==