Commemorative History Book

The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 171 Big River Branch 136 was granted its charter on April 23, 1930, with 15 active members. The first meetings and socials were held in private homes, but the first Legion hall was soon purchased on Third Avenue South. In 1950-1951, a garage on Main Street was converted to a hall and kitchen, and the British Commonwealth ExServiceman’s League had its new, roomier residence. Since its meager beginning, the veterans of the area have been well represented, their concerns have been heard and when requested, a proper ‘soldier’s burial’ was performed. Every year since, a November 11th ‘Remembrance Day’ service has been held at the hall as well as at the schools. In 1950, Branch 136 was asked to put on a supper for the lumber mill opening and the wives and daughters were asked to convene. On August 3rd, 1951, the Branch 136 Ladies’ Auxiliary was granted its charter with 15 active members. It should be noted that the ladies had been helping out since the Legions’ conception and now they had the deserved recognition for keeping the barrel heater burning and floors scrubbed, as well as assisting the men with their activities. Together, the Legion and its Auxiliary have kept busy supporting veterans and the community with many activities such as July 1st Sports Day, Shrove Tuesday supper, St. Paddy’s Day and Remembrance Day Tea and Bake Sales, card parties and socials. Fund raisers were held through our wreath and poppy sales, hamburger booths (with no shelter from the rain), ice cream sales with no refrigeration, bingos, and of course, hall rentals. These are just a few of the ways the Branch has kept the hall open and the bills paid. One must also remember that there was wood heat, no water and sewer, and the power supply could be gone without notice. In the early years, the heater was lit 2 - 3 hours before a function, water hauled by pail, and the outhouse had to be kept clean. When the power went out, you either moved outside or lit candles or coal oil lamps. Things have certainly changed. Dishes for supper were borrowed from members’ homes until the Auxiliary had collected enough Robin Hood and Nabob coupons to get their first complete set. In later years, the branch competed in many zone, district and provincial events, such as conventions, rallies, curling, cribbage, golf and darts, with many success stories. Some of the Branch’s main contributions are to hockey, Track and Field, Veteran’s Comfort, hospital and nursing home, cemetery, schools and youth, seniors groups and the local recreation centre. The Branch members feel fortunate to have supported local veterans and the community in the past and in the future. In 1953, a cenotaph and flagpole were constructed in front of the hall to commemorate the Branch members’ dedication to Remembrance, veterans, the Branch, and the Royal Canadian Legion and its objectives. The Branch members encourage local youth to carry this on through the Poem, Poster and Essay Competition, school Remembrance Day Service and track and field, with the hope that Branch 136 will continue on forever. Today, in 2006, the Branch has 180 members, and are a continuing strong voice for veterans and the community. Lest we forget. We will remember them. BIG RIVER BRANCH 136 Earl Grey Branch received their Charter from The Great War Veterans Association of Canada on July 22, 1919. Israel Cross was President, and Amos Harrison was Secretary. On May 24, 1921, The Great War Veterans Association Memorial Hall was dedicated. On the front of the hall, a tablet was erected in memory of our boys who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. The tablet was erected by the ratepayers of the Rural Municipality of Longlaketon. On April 13, 1930, an organizational meeting was held: Amos Harrison, President; Joseph Austin, 1st Vice; and Robert Shaw, Secretary. The Canadian Legion of The British Empire Services League Charter was received on May 12, 1930. Members listed on the Charter were: Guy Foster, Amos Harrison, Joseph Austin, Robert Shaw, George Buchan, John Jinks, John Bremner, Israel Cross, George Nutt, Robert Bremner, James Binnie, Frank Binnie. It is interesting to note that at a time when place of birth is often listed as England or Scotland, George Nutt's place of birth is listed as Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies. In 1946, the Earl Grey Ladies Patriotic Club offered to erect a tablet listing names of the men who fell in the 2nd Great War. The tablet was installed on the front of the building in 1948. The Legion Hall has seen many renters, which helped with maintenance costs to the building: The Butterton Telephon, Pentecostal Mission, Lutheran Ladies Aid, School Unit, Earl Grey Band, Poultry and Egg Pool, Patriotic Club, Mitzaph, Earl Grey Co-op, Sylvan Telephone Company Wheat Pool, Farmers Labour, Fairy Hill- Ladies, German Canadian Club, Boy Scouts, United Church Ladies Aid Earl Grey Board of Trade Polio Clinic in the 1950s. The Branch participated in parades, ran the crown and anchor on Sports Days, played softball. and of course, curling. Dances, EARL GREY BRANCH 137 (Cont’d...)

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==