Commemorative History Book

The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 153 LADIES’ AUXILIARY TO NIPAWIN BRANCH 120 The Ladies’ Auxiliary to The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 120 received its charter in 1929. Due to declining membership, it was disbanded in 2000, with remaining assets turned over to Nipawin Branch 120 and many of the remaining members joining the Branch. Mrs. Nora Maywood was the first president. The main fund-raising activities in those years were teas and bazaars. Proceeds were used to assist First World War Veterans and Boer War Veterans and their families. During World War II, the ladies became very active knitting for the servicemen and also sending parcels to them. Both during the war and immediately following, there was a large increase in membership, as the servicemen returned home. In 1946, the new Legion Hall was opened. There was a mortgage on the hall, and the ladies wanted to assist the Branch in paying off this debt. There seemed to be a demand for catering, and they took that up. The first banquet was in early 1947, for the Board of Trade, at a charge of $1 per plate. Catering was not easy in the first years. All glassware, china, cutlery, table cloths, pots and pans - everything that was needed to work with had to be brought from the members’ homes. What fun after a banquet, sorting all that out and packing it to take home! Gradually, as funds were available, equipment was purchased. There was no water and sewer until 1951; the lack of this convenience made a great deal of work! The largest banquet was held in 1953, when 400 guests were served for the Teachers District Convention. The joint project of the Legion and Auxiliary made the final payment on the mortgage. For a few years, the ladies served as many as fifty events a year, a lot of work but a lot of fun. Several fashion shows were also put on. A great deal of the money raised went to pay off the original debt, and to assist with the many improvements over the years, including the full cost of installing water and sewer. The final donation was used to install new washroom facilities in the upper hall. There was a major fire at the Legion Hall in June of 1957, which curtailed activities for some time while repairs were made. In the early 1980s, the Branch took over the dining room for a club room. This meant that catering would have to be done on the upper level; this was not practical. An addition was built to the hall, providing an excellent kitchen on the main floor. However, as members aged, the catering had to be cut down. Over the years, donations were made to the provincial Auxiliary to help supply comforts for Veterans, and scholarships for children of veterans. Much was done locally over the years to assist Veterans and their families through difficult times. Non-Legion activities were also supported, such as the local Music Festival, sports, scholarships, donations to hospital and nursing home and many charitable organizations. One project was "The Hand of Friendship." Veterans who were disabled were visited each month and received a small gift. This was extended to include all Auxiliary Life Members. "Legion Auxiliary" meant helping the Legion Branch and this was accomplished in exemplary fashion over 70 years! (Compiled from information given by Marian Lane to Bridging the Years history book.) NIPAWIN BRANCH 120 (...Cont’d) On February 13, 1929, Birch Hills Legion received their charter with thirteen signatures, and became Branch #122. Money was scarce during the next decade. To keep the Branch solvent, some comrades contributed to pay delinquent members' per-capita tax. During WWII, members of Branch 122 were active in helping the war effort in various ways and supporting men and women who had enlisted in the military services. Arnold Davis, Gordon Savage and Sigurd Hokness obtained their discharge and joined the Legion before the 1945 annual meeting, thereby gaining seniority and starting a trend for younger WWII members to take over the Branch executive and influence future policy. As Branch membership increased, the Ladies’ Auxiliary received their charter on November 5, 1947, with six signatures. The addition of female members strengthened the Branch, and their co-operation made activities more social and successful. The small building, which had served the Branch up to this time, was no longer adequate and rental space was used for a few years. The community remodeled the local skating rink, and when the Legion made a generous donation to the rink fund, they were given permission to erect a long, narrow room behind the upper level bleachers. This room had two main drawbacks; the noise during ice use and dampness in summer, which damaged paper records. The members showed great ingenuity in raising money and earned the respect and support of the community. Branch 122 held public dances, some of the first pancake breakfasts with live radio broadcasting, carnivals with parades, queen contests, and ice shows. Beginning in 1949, ‘49ers Days,’ using the old miner theme, became an annual event with beard contests and costumes, which made Birch Hills widely known and often copied. Bill Harper, a Legion chaplain with artistic ability, used the ‘49ers’ theme to decorate the town and gave amusing names to some of the town leaders and business people. BIRCH HILLS BRANCH 122 (Cont’d...)

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==