Commemorative History Book

The Royal Canadian Legion Saskatchewan Command LEST WE FORGET 109 The Meadow Lake Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 76 received its Charter on December 20, 1926. Charter members were: R. T. Barnes, J. E. (Pete) Evans, John Small, Jim Trask, Bill Waddington, J. W. Twidale, R. C. Higman, P. R. Rafuse, Percy Twidale, George Stewart and John Reed. Many of the early members had belonged to the Great War Veterans' Association. Today, membership is approximately 200 people. The Ladies' Auxiliary received their charter in September 1932, with fifteen charter members: Alice Trask, Elsie Ford, Elizabeth Ford, Freda Willsey, Ada Rogers, Katie Higman, Catherine Kinnear, Jessie Twidale, Annie Evans, Edith Perkins, Annie Stack, Mary Stack, Olivin Kew, Irene Evans and Clare McCrimmon. The work of the Auxiliary still carries on in the Branch. They continue to visit the sick or Veterans who are unable to get out, taking them gifts or food baskets. They support the Branch whenever their help is needed, and this extra help is greatly appreciated. At present, the Auxiliary has twenty-two members. Until the early thirties, Legion meetings were held in the homes of local members. The first Legion Hut was a co-operative venture; many of the local citizens helped build it, and projects by Legion members helped finance it. It served the community for many years as a meeting hall at a reasonable rent. Some improvements were made to it in the early forties, and many members agreed that a larger hall would eventually be needed, especially when service personnel from World War Two came home. Comrade Archie Wilson was the first President to hold office from the ranks of World War Two Veterans. He took over the reigns from Comrade Sandy Black in August of 1946. Comrade Wilson also served seven years as Zone Commander. In 1957, the Ukrainian Hall was purchased and it served not only as the monthly meeting place, but also was used by the community for other functions, such as dances, etc. Plans were made in 1964-65 to build a larger building that would also be used as a community centre. Blueprints were drawn up, and some of the anticipated funding did materialize. The Town of Meadow Lake and the Federal Government built the present Civic Centre. It was built solidly enough to serve as a defense headquarters in case of war. The Legion rented part of this building as a clubroom for a few years. In May 1971, with two charter members present, Comrade Jim Trask and Comrade Bill Waddington, and officials from Provincial Command, the new Legion Hall located at 109 1st Street West was officially opened. The new building had a bar, club room, and meeting room with kitchen to serve its members and the Ladies' Auxiliary. In 2005, an outdoor patio was added. Hired employees run the clubroom. In 2001, the branch celebrated its 75thAnniversary by hosting a Banquet and Dance for Veterans and Ladies' Auxiliary. It was a great honour for the younger members to see the number of Veterans who came out for this celebration. The Branch members realized how important it is to remember these men and women who served their country during such a time of distress and how important their memory is. In 2004, a committee designed a "Wall of Honour" for the Branch. Framed service photos of over 100 local Veterans now hang on this wall, including the new generation of Peace Keepers. The Branch members will continue adding to the Wall of Honour as more photographs are collected. MEADOW LAKE BRANCH 76 Yorkton Branch of The Royal Canadian Legion was formed in 1926 from a group of Great War Veterans Association members, which existed in Yorkton at that time. General Alexander Ross was a guiding hand in this and would continue to be for many years afterward. The Branch, having no hall of their own, held their meetings at the Parrish Hall of the Holy Trinity Anglican Church. On February 21, 1930, the Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Yorkton Branch of the Legion was formed. Throughout the years, the Auxiliary provided a valuable partner in all aspects of Legion activities. Due to the declining membership and the ages of the Auxiliary, it was with great sadness they voted to disband on December 31, 2002. In 1934, Dominion President General Alexander Ross, was instrumental in organizing the Vimy Ridge Pilgrimage. He played a prominent role in all activities and escorted King Edward the Eighth during the unveiling of the historic monument. A small wood casket, which was used at the unveiling, to scatter the ashes of the wooden crosses over the monument, was given to General Ross, which he brought back GENERAL ALEXANDER ROSS BRANCH 77, YORKTON (Cont’d...)

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==